In 1962, the scientist Nick Holonyak, Jr., created the first practical visible light-emitting diode. Since then it has grown in popularity and has many industrial applications in the entertainment industry. What is it about LED that makes it so attractive to lighting directors and business owners? Well, LEDs are more durable, reliable, and do not need much maintenance unlike other lighting technologies. There are many other advantages to using LEDs that only someone who is far behind the technology would miss. Here are a few.
- LED is more energy efficient: Some studies show that LEDs use 40% to 70% less electricity than traditional incandescent, fluorescent and halogen lights. Moreover, LED fixtures can be aimed at specific a direction which is helpful when being used in theatrical lighting.
- LED lights require less maintenance: The servicing of fluorescent or HID lights and the servicing of magnetic ballasts can be quite expensive. In contrast, because LEDs use electronic drivers they allow manufacturers the opportunity to integrate into this technology with features such as sensing, instant on/off functions, etc. Our Strand Dimmers also work well with this technology.
- No IR or UV Emissions: We all know that incandescent lamps emit a great deal of heat. Well, that is not the only thing they emit. They also emit IR and UV rays. In contrast, LEDs do not. They emit no heat and are more reliable than fluorescent and incandescent light.
- LEDs are more durability: LED systems are tougher than other lighting solutions. This is because they don’t have filaments or glass enclosures which make them less susceptible to breakage. This also makes them perfect for use in outdoor lighting applications.
- LEDs are more cost effective: Lighting costs can be a huge part of any theatrical production. LEDs provide a great ROI for your production since they are more efficient and durable. These features save managers money. Another way lighting designers can save money is by using dimmer rental for our products.
In short, many industries including the entertainment industry have long seen the advantages to LEDs over incandescent, fluorescent and halogen solutions. These technologies still have their use and our equipment can work with a variety of technologies, but more and more people are turning away from these lighting solutions in favor of LEDs.